Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• `chainsaw recommendation, please?

Hi,
    We want to buy a petrol chainsaw for chopping up logs to burn on those long winter nights, hoping to reduce the oil bill. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer and give any advice, please?
    Last edited by KATHY; 10-07-2008, 07:39 PM.

I was fortunate enough to be bought a Stihl MS 170 with a 14" bar,ideal for logs and even felling small trees.I would recommend this as it's likely to be more reliable than some of the cheaper brands.Husqvarner is another that is used by the profesionals.What ever you choose get one with an "oregon" bar and chain as these are readily available for spares.You will need a sharpening file and gauge as the chain does get blunt .
    Make sure you read the instructions both for your safety,but also so you don't damage the saw.Remember to get some sort of eye protection,ear defenders and gloves,a good sturdy saw horse is worth it's weight in gold(you can make your own if you like).

Comment

Are the logs too long, or do they need splitting?

If its just splitting a chain saw is probably not the best tool (its across the grain), and a hydraulic log splitter might be better.

Or a metal wedge and a sledge hammer - which is what we used to use when I was a lad, and as my father used to say "it warms you twice"!
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

Stihl are good. (McCulloch not bad)

RU sure you need Petrol? if its just for logs electric is cheaper and quieter.(Makita one good)

Without any patronisation..May I say that they are awesome but not a tool to own unless you use powertools regularly; really know what you are doing and have the safety kit (preferably including the trousers) Its quite an investment. At least get some instruction...they make quick work of a tree but equally a leg.

Comment

Lots of good advice already. Petrol chainsaws are for cutting things up away from 'base', but if you are going to be within reach of a powerpoint, the electric ones are a LOT less bother!
          If you want to split logs (and don't want the expense of a hyraulic log splitter) I have used wedges, and seen a neighbour using a 'log grenade' and would strongly recommend the latter if your intention is purely to divide one short-but-fat log into smaller pieces. One good whack with the sledgehammer and you have up to 4 sections!
          Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

We used a McCulloch when we were putting the railway sleepers in the garden.

Definitely get hold of a file - sharpening the blades is quite therapeutic. Make sure there s plenty of oil in the chainsaw too.
            A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Stihl are a great make for occasional users, I have used Husqvarnas as well and they are brilliant if they are in constant use but a real pain in the behind if left for a few months in between uses. You will definitely need some proper chainsaw trousers, a helmet with a visor, chainsaw boots and gloves. You'll need to sharpen the chain after every c.3hours of use, otherwise it won't cut well and you increase the vibration of the chain and risk of kickback ( when the bar kicks back upwards towards your face ). You can get safety chains which reduce kickback and I would suggest you definitely get one or two. Get someone who works with chainsaw to show you how to sharpen it properly, there is a knack to it and you can prolong the life of the chain and the ease of use of the saw by proper sharpening (and the converse, if it's done badly).

Dwell simply ~ love richly

Comment

Thanks for all the great help regarding a chainsaw!

Hi, All,
                Thanks very much indeed for all the suggestions! we hadn't thought about the trousers and all the safety advice has made us think really carefully although we'd realised that safety would be a srious issue.

We want to cut logs horizontally into smaller chunks - will rethink very carefully. Any further advice though would be very welcome indeed.

Kathy
                Last edited by KATHY; 11-07-2008, 05:28 PM.

Comment

If you're young enough and want to be really "green" , use a bow saw,I use both and a nice axe for splitting.Been meaning to try a "grenade" keep forgetting.

Comment

Long handled log splitters are easily obtained. They look like felling axes but have a wedge shaped blade and make a good job. Unless you have a lot of logs to cut, a bow saw is not only a lot cheaper but a lot safer than a chain saw.
                    I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

We use a log grenade for splitting and a Stihl petrol chainsaw for chopping (husband is currently using it to make new beams from old). The grenade and sledgehammer combo works brilliantly although he has broken one! The Stihl is fab, it gets alot of use and we would be lost without it!
                      As has been said, you must have the right kit, the trousers have thousands of teflon strands running through them so that if you slip, you don't lose a leg - just a mangled chain and trousers. The helmet and visor are vital too as are the gloves (same construction as the trous). Boots will save your feet and toes.....
                      Personally I don't believe that any such power tools should be sold as an electric tool - it makes them too easy to use and kill yourself/someone else.
                      Make sure that all trees are felled and split in the winter/early spring otherwise they will be a sod to split and will take an extra year to dry as the sap will have started to rise.
                      Happy chopping!
                      Tx

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X